Inspiring pinup artists: Gil Elvgren, Zoë Mozert, Duane Bryers

by Karen H. Brown on Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm having a blast working on these superhero pinups for FanExpo. Safe to say, I've been inspired by one of my favorite Illustrators, Gil Elvgren.



Better descriptions of his art have probably been written, so I'll just say here that my favorite quality in his work is the way he managed to make the girls look innocently indecent. Whoops, my skirt just fluttered up! Oh noes, can you see my butt? I don't know how, but he managed to make the slightest sliver of skin seem quite salacious.



Zoe Mozart is an artist that I'm learning more about and enjoying, specifically her nude/pinup work. The most famous female artist of retro pinup artists (so the internet tells me), she often used herself as a model.



Duane Bryers is often credited with being one of the first artists to paint plus-size pinup girls, specifically 'Hilda'. I love Hilda to death. With over 200+ Hilda paintings (gouache on illustration board), this guy blows me away.

Links
Official Gil Elvgren Website

Zoe Mozart at The Pinup Files

Hilda Gallery at Toilgirls

One comment

Hilda is gorgeous! my kind of woman

by Anonymous on February 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM. #

Leave your comment